Re: LF: Re: HB9ASB...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: HB9ASB...
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:08:37 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:30 PM

I'm surprised so many seem to misunderstand how high impedance E-field probes work.  There is too much hearsay and false comments being peddled.   Stop thinking of the feeder as 'part' of the antenna as if it were all one entity and consider each stage.... And forget that thing called Ground completely.

It starts with a high input-impedance amplifier which must have two connections - ignore any common reference for now, it just has two input pins.  A voltage is imposed across these from any antenna with two ports,  like a short dipole.   This input voltage is buffered, amplified,  and sent to the two output pins from which it travels down a feeder - balanced, coax, or whatever -  and into your receiver.   So far we haven't made any connection between input and output, and they could (and ideally would) be independent and isolated from eachother

However, they're not.   One input connection is usually common with one output - usually the  0V DC supply pin and the reference  (and please note, I am not referring to this as ground; ground is taboo, a dirty word,  and will not be mentioned)    Which means the other hot-side input pin now has a voltage imposed on it with respect to the reference.  This will probably come from a probe antenna which is coupling to the E-field of a radiated signal.   Now, bear in mind any antenna must have two output ports, so where is the other side?   As the reference input pin is connected to the output reference pin, any other connection to this point will form the other 'half' of the high impedance short dipole antenna.

Now, the feeder dropping down from the amplifier / probe assembly (or across, or up and over, or buried in the soil [see, still didn't say the taboo word] ) is connected to the input reference pin by virtue of the amplifiers internally linking them, and must therefore form the other half of the dipole.   This is bad.   We have a hi-Z dipole, with one short element in the air where it should be, and the other element being one conductor of a probably long length of feeder with its end connected to we know-not-what.

So what do we now have?  A long assymetric dipole plus amplifier assembly, stretching from some arbitrary shack connection up into free space.   The voltage at the not-middle of this is the stuff that is amplified and fed to the receiver.    So, as the bulk of the dipole is close to the shack expect the majority of signal received to be locally generated noise.

That is the case for a completely unscreened and un-earthed (still didn't use the word :-)  system.  Picking up any locally generated E-fields at high levels onto the dipole.

Now place the receiver and the rest of the local world with all its noise and QRM generators in a screened room and make the feed coaxial through a bulkhead connector into teh screened room and see what happens.   All the QRM is contained within the screened room and cannot pass outside.    The antenna is now a strange sort-of dipole with one end in free space, and the other connected to a solid mass made from the outside of the screened room.   It can't pick up any QRM from inside the screened room, and all it will now receive are signals generating an E-field between the probe and the solid mass.  Perfect!

The shack and the rest of the world is not in a screened room, so there lies the problem.   However much you don't want it to be, with this setup the feeder will always form the majority of the antenna because there is nothing else there that can be the other half of the dipole.   And if the bottom end of the dipole intrudes into the rest of the world, it will pick up stuff it shouldn't

Andy

So the FEEDER does form the majority part of this type of antenna, simply one side of a very poor asymetrical dipole.
It would appear this is not the antenna for a noisy urban environment
The long element of the dipole is picking up every possible noise and amplifying it and feeding all this noise plus signal to the RX, the minute Probe element is insignificant.
This has been my observation all along.

G3KEV

Now, lets control the antenna structure all on its own and pretend the feeder is not there at all.  A true dipole would be nice although impractical for now, so lets go back to the classic monopole which is one half of a dipole, and the other half formed by the reflection of this in a mirror, which is usually the surface of this planet called Earth.   Mount the amplifier assembly on a conductive pole with the bottom end firmly connected to the surface of the mirror.  Now, we have a dipole formed of the complete assembly (mast plus probe) with its reflection.  It is not fed in the middle , but assymetrically near the top where the short probe forms the other side from teh feed point.   The total length of the dipole is now twice the total height of supporting mast and probe.   As we're using a high impedance input amplifier, if it nad a truely infinite input Z and zero capacitance,  the actual feed point wouldn't matter, it would always get the same voltage imposed wherever the non-symmetrical spilt occurred.  As Z and C is finite it does make a difference so longer probes help with practical amplifiers - but this is digressing.

The antenna so far is ideal, and is no more prone to picking up local QRM than any other antenna would be. But now we have to connect this thing called a feeder, which introduces another arm to the dipole (a tripole now perhaps ) which will ultimately go close to bad places.   If we could isolate the feeder by inserting a high common mode impedance this would do the job, but it would have to be a near infinite common-mode impedance, so is definitely not on.    A  transformer coupling would help, but even that has high (relatively speaking) capacitance across its windings, so will still leak common mode rubbish, gettign worse at higher frequencies.  And there is still the DC power issue

One solution is to bring the feeder down INSIDE the pole which must be firmly connected to the reflecting surface of the mirror, maintain it buried under the mirror's surface for as long as possible before it sees the Badlands and hope that burying it will decouple any local QRM.   Or make the feeder non conductive like optical fibre.  But there is still the DC power issue.

Which shows where the problems lie, and where to start thinking about how to stop them.    Separate dedicated mast firmly connected to the mirror's surface.  Feeder fed down inside it and buried.   If coaxial feeder is used -  connect the braid at both ends to the mirror's surface and bring in to the receiver input port coaxially and screened.   DC likewise - send it up the feeder.

One solution, but its a difficult bit of hardware to build well, would be a true differential input high impedance amplifier with a proper equal length short dipole.   The differential input - if ideal - will inherently provide isolation between input and output ports but it does have to be a perfect differential input, balanced antenna and so on.   Someone did mention to me once about using two identical active antennas mounted end to end to form a a dipole, with the outputs from each combined in a 180 degree hybrid combiner.  That could prove viable, but don't know if he ever tried it.

Phew....!

Andy