Re: LF: 137 friday morning?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 137 friday morning?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 18:06:14 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Thank you Albert for coming in, also to Tony/HB9ASB.

I actually didn't expect much activity on a friday morning. But then clear signals from HB9 and PA. Very pleased about that! It was an easy copy, would have been no problem for a 2 hour QSO. One day we all should try to make up a common group, giving the key arround 4 or 6 persons :-)

When beeing outside in the forest this morning, the RX noise was just 5 dB above the soundcards noise. So i need more gain. I tried the external preamp i built from M0BMUs design. It overloads the RX then, since DLF is to strong. Adding a 10 dB attenuator prevents overloading and rises the overall noise by 10 dB above the noise of the RX(without an antenna connected). Maybe this could improve things a bit more but a test signal was missed to that time. Also i tried the M0BMU amp in combination with the IC706. The signals (DCF39, DLF, DCF49...) were strongly improved and no overloading occurs but there is still a lack of gain on that RX whith that antenna. There is no audible difference in the LF band when connecting/disconnecting the antenna. A larger antenna might help, such as the earth antenna (700m long wire, avrg height above GND = 6m). Haven't found the time to check this but next time i will install both antennas and a switch to directly compare both systems...

So, hear you again! :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC