Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:50:25 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

At 10:21 AM 7/16/2011, Stefan wrote:

The property here is surrounded by tall trees and I can't think of any easy way to get the probe above the treetops, away from powerline. Perhaps a remote receiver, but that seems like a lot of effort.
Maybe it works near the trees too. The signal level will be reduced, anyway it might be OK as long as it is well above the soundcards noise. On VLF this is easily done.

I found a good spot for the Mini-Whip - just above the roof of a garage about 100 feet from the shack. Didn't want to damage the coax jacket so instead of grounding the shield DC-wise I wrapped a bunch of turns of solid copper house wire around it (about a foot along the coax) and grounded that (directly below the mini-whip). Apparently the capacitive coupling is sufficient but your mileage may vary.

I'll let it run overnight updating the grabber. Will replot the DHO38 SNR tomorrow.
Bill VE2IQ