Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:21:20 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Bill, VLF,

Thanks again for the interesting discussion!

In one point i have to disagree:

Am 16.07.2011 05:03, schrieb Bill de Carle:
I'm looking forward to a kite transmission in darkness - if you can get out of bed that early, hi!
No problem! The exciting stuff makes me wake up easily, just as in the 10th experiment. :-)

I don't know much about SL
Disagreed!  ;-)

so I just modified the vlf radio usr to get some data for the plot. For the DHO38 SNR I used "avrg(23350,23450)-noise(23100,23700)" - far from optimum,
This is quite interesting. I will arrange some SNR plots too. Sure, all the possibilities of SL could be leaned from the help files but as other OMs too do not like to read but rather experiment and learn from others :-)

You can confidently assume my receiving setup has room for improvement! I've been making changes all along. I did not use noise blanking for the wideband views
In the wideband views, sferics are an important and useful information, so the spectrogram should be taken from L1, i.e. no noise reduction is best. So you did it right of course.

but had some hard-limiting (software clipping) enabled for your last 8970 transmission.
OK, fine. Chris 4X1RF did a recording of my 9th experiment in December 2010. I've done several tests and found some settings that seem to be very close to the optimum of noise reduction. There, a band limiting filter is used, after that and combined clipping and blanking is applied. Since the SL's noise blanker performance was improved, i found no further improvements, so these settings are still close to the optimum i think. You could do some local tests and compare these settings to your own. This can be done by setting up a small local TX on a small antenna or by using the internal frequency generator or digimode terminal (connecting to L1). Of course i can send you a USR file for say "DFCW-2400" (1 mHz FFT bin width) if wanted.

As to what next ... It's relatively easy to detect the presence of a weak, stable carrier.
For SL, yes.

Do you know of any stable signal source (unmodulated carrier) near 8970 (somewhere near your QTH) I could look for?
No, the closest commercial transmitter near the Dreamers Band is the lower Alpha TX at 11904.7619 Hz. It is worth to look out for that, just to check if the system is running stable (i.e. locked to the reference signal). You said you have a GPS reference frequency that can be down divided below 24 kHz and then locked on, right?

I was thinking today of comparing a mini-whip Rx antenna to the loops over 24 hours.
Excellent idea! It would have done that too but i have no suitable RX loop so far. Tell us about the SNR difference. Maybe you can watch in stereo mode (R= loop, L= probe) and show the traces in a splitted spectrogram.

The property here is surrounded by tall trees and I can't think of any easy way to get the probe above the treetops, away from powerline. Perhaps a remote receiver, but that seems like a lot of effort.
Maybe it works near the trees too. The signal level will be reduced, anyway it might be OK as long as it is well above the soundcards noise. On VLF this is easily done.

Looking at that chart you sent relating expected field strengths at various distances and frequencies, I notice they specified a daytime sea water propagation path. It would be nice to find some info about spreading/distortion at 8970 Hz over the distance between here and Germany.
Maybe someone can pass you a suitable link. But actually we have to make our own experience which is not easy of course.

Looking forward to your tests.

73, Stefan/DK7FC

73,
Bill VE2IQ