Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Morning enhancements of DHO38
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:08:09 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

We are still in the midst of a power outage here after a severe storm (100 Km/H winds) Sunday evening. It is now 39 hours with no mains power in this area. I have been able to do some comparisons of the Mini-Whip vs two series-connected orthogonal loops favoring Europe. Bottom line is both antennas perform well but when looking at DHO38 there is an estimated 5 dB SNR advantage using the loops. That's consistent with the directional gain of the loop configuration. On both antennas I see big baseline excursions (+/- 10 dB) lasting about one second. Can't be caused by local QRM because the mains power is off all along the road here. It looks like static crashes. Apparently I have some coupling capacitors in the preamps which are too large for the frequencies of interest. There isn't any visible effect on SL's waterfall because I'm not displaying such low frequencies, but I'll be looking into it. Maybe some voltage clipping would prevent high amplitude static impulses from having any major effect on the output lines? Not too serious because everything still stays within the allowable range for sound card inputs and there is no clipping. I'm using an HP netbook with integrated "IDT High Definition Audio Codec" - unfortunately there is only one audio input available on the netbook (intended for a microphone) and it's mono. Oh well...

Bill VE2IQ