Re: LF: Lightning Story

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Lightning Story
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:32:36 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Bill,

Really an exciting story ;-)

I think once the TL084 got damaged it acts like a rather low impedant part and will carry several mA or A, thus it smells after a long time ;-) It's a questing of the dissipated power and energy. The E field probe was protected against overvoltages and as Roelof says, it is rather immune to short impulses and protects itselfe a bit by becoming conductive. The 1N4148 would have protected the amp input even if the distance to the strike would be 1m i bet :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC