LF: Re: Lightning Story

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Lightning Story
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:34:35 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1311791637; bh=GkPukPOUBizRO3IkKwmQUb/eNHyIUrkZuGxVWKifnGc=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=orxlnXnK+OL0hEjD77yIFGHfd1oPKwtiqOb3q5WWiPfJzcb6s+MZ+rlAfelmPOJd01FCTEQUztrZdktI9F2demQ9mghCBNkEySjmAffoPpBnA8GGn4sLCHweDlCq2L/P6xPLEI2qmGQjAe7Hh9zDwJXta2yh28mkSWx6qxrr/e0=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=UyGrjJlA0Viy4NV+CpPEkZa0MSs2K5ugebbCz1Vq38nROiaZzYmlw3uiUz1c2WJiD2zAK46y72QHWUIou/y/KFq8jG61ixoQIGFKVbwQLxSmbAm7Jo53x7/uoi1GRcp8FlzhcYG/uMtU35dHp+YKAyXqUnX0ZPfQyZzyUoBPp5U= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Bill once you get outside the spec area some devices perform somewhat
oddly. Discrete transistors will take quite a lot of punishment if the
actual energy is not too great...i.e high spikes but very narrow. Even the
fine connecting wires (.001 in,) will carry amps for a very short period of
time. ICs on the other hand being  a more complex stucture can be damaged by
quite low voltages.  I think the TL084 is a bi-fet, and I am not very
familiar with that technology, but many ICs will fail if the inputs pins or
the ground pins at taken above the supply pin. On CMOS this can trigger a
catastophic Vdd Vee short by a kind of SCR structure switch on. I have seen
the same with 6116 static memories in a microcontroller attached to  and
controlling a mains powered oven, The oven got a grounding fault and current
passed through the negative side of the thermocouple, mux, ADC and micro
card through the psu to ground. The only failure in all that was the 6116
CMOS static memory. The pressure inside the encapsulation was enought to
shatter the moulding a lift a small region of plastic above the chip. No
other devices needed replacing, and after making sure that we blocked the
"alternate" ground path through our controller (100R in series with the
t/c), the unit operated for many more years without trouble.

You didnt say whether your op-amps were powered? ..... I suspect not but the
generation of a large voltage across the loop might be enough to to lift the
input to a destructive level, and decoupling caps can store a lot of charge.

Alan G3NYK