Re: LF: antenna for 137kHz.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: antenna for 137kHz.
From: "Martin Evans." <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:00:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stephan.

Well, the plan is to get my aerial working properly on receive first, then use it to transmit as well. I am only interested in LF - 137kHz and 160m, no higher.

It would be most convenient if I could just use the one aerial for both because I have the usual problems with the Estates Manager (the XYL!!).

I do intend to get an E probe working as well - it could go on the pole on the house, on a smaller pole on top, and be maybe 15 meters above ground, but this comes later.

Martin  GW3UCJ.

I assume you're talking about RX antennas?
If you want to use a loop, maybe you want to build an own loop for 137 kHz that is placed as far as possible from the house. The size (enclosed area) may be smaller. You may use a coax cable going to the shack (maybe RG174) that is grounded in the garden, with an own LF earth rod. Then you can use a transformer to couple the signal to your RX.
There are several ways to do it and the best SNR that can be achieved depends
on the local noise situation.
I am rather a fan of small E probe antennas since they are easy to build and can easily be lifted to 10 m above GND, e.g. with a small plastic rod. But my experience with loops is small, maybe i become a fan of them too soon :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC