LF: Re: Re: antenna for 137kHz.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: antenna for 137kHz.
From: "Martin Evans." <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:37:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Thanks Alan.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a nice piece of good coax!

Your comment about the loop not being a competitor on transmit - do you mean that you think that I would be better off treating my wire, fed from the far end, as a top-loaded vertical? Would I be better to put up a separate vertical and forget about the loop? I could do that - I could probably get away with a 15m/20m vertical with capacity hat radials, a la 1960s HiFix.

What do you think would be the way for me to go?

Martin.

############################

Hi Martin, I would confirm Hugh's ideas. The idea way for all bands might be
to use the bottom of the remote pole as the feed point of the wire. This
gets the wire away from a lot of the pick-up and also from TV downloads,
house wiring  and things that might pick up from your transmissions.

Dont forget that two or three spaced horizontal top wires will improve your
inverted L even on top-band, but try to keep the wire as far away as is
practicable from walls, trees etc. which will increase the loss. I recommend
a simple aerial bridge for optimising the aerial and ground wires. But
getting it away from man-made noise is a winner, every extra metre helps.
The loop may well be quieter, but not necesarily so, but it will probably
not be a competitor on transmit unless you have an awful lot of tall trees
in that small plot.

Fortunately 137 is a narrow band so you will probably find that you dont
need to keep rushing out to retune.

Best of luck
Alan G3NYK