Re: LF: Re: VLF - G3XIZ - 14th May 2011

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: VLF - G3XIZ - 14th May 2011
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 14:05:41 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Ken,

Am 15.05.2011 11:07, schrieb Ken:
  in your opinion what would be the minimum height for the E-Probe?, at present I can only make 5m.
Ken.

M0KHW

It all depends on the local situation. It should be well above trees and far away from buildings. If it is the highest place, some meters distance is OK. Just like on all the E probes. Due to man made noise sources it is best to place it as far as possible from these sources.
Maybe the signal level is rather poor (it depends on the kind of audio transformer and the winding ratio) compared to the inv-L antenna? If it is just a few dB above the soundcard noise, the SNR will be not optimal. Just one possibility, i just can guess...
Check the background noise without and with the antenna(s) connected. The difference should be 15...20 dB or above. Furthermore check if the signal amplitude not reaching the 0 dB level of the soundcard, anywhere between 0...24 kHz and so on....

Make a wideband screen of both antennas. You may ask other VLF stations like G3ZJO to give you further advice. They have done the same procedure in the last weeks. Of course you can ask me further too ;-)

73, GL, Stefan/DK7FC