Re: LF: Corona Discharge - how to prevent ?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Corona Discharge - how to prevent ?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:54:44 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1299110055; bh=Eygvnd4syxsNbwcoBriQVYri9Jo7wMV1tzsXXgwMBMU=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=aDmcrhIJz1dZfAIvUQU8BckABQJ93fBEmTOjPXbV1mO5+CdAUT92/uKuv9D9ZizWnknE/ODiXBaowIiyoW99qe5PSn//nL9SHkiKeaq4n0Gatxt8vbPpXIKqjWa/k3IGLAamN/MnXUq+CVFkGZm6ctU3C8yEEX2Oqzi/P4LuOmM=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=DnesOJ1ktgyejEc35pIuqghnKjUn7lLJQgxvLSBlgAOobVwsyYDcCYUDPd6UG1d0BquJNEmdMbQ313sMDmLybHX7HyeRMXhMotbXTViDDE8IvwGza1YJAdxzCHnK01y3ad1vZ12b3yfOb6zg+ggpD/Vxs0sgUUDg0dA1o0g/5HU= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Graham, Alan, LF Group,

Corona rings as in the attachment have served me well over the years - they do seem to substantially increase the voltage at which the onset of corona happens. I doubt if multiple rings, spheres etc. will be much improvement, since then the maximum potential gradient will then just occur around the wire in the middle of the span instead of at the ends, and the corona will move to that point. When I first started fitting them, I found that adding the corona ring would get rid of the corona at one end or sharp bend of the wire, only for it to reappear at a different point, until all ends and corners, and the connection to the loading coil, were so "protected". Make sure there are no loose ends of wire hanging out. Also, try to maximise the distance between the wire and any other conducting objects, even poor conductors like trees, woodwork, masonry, etc.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU