Re: LF: LF 54 Years

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF 54 Years
From: [email protected]
Date: 16 Feb 2011 13:46 GMT
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Peter,

Your story is interesting also for me!

In January 1958 the german freighter Heinrich Schulte/DCUW, on which I
served as a radio operator, had been allowed to anchor at Christmas
Island to take over 100 tons of boiler water and 20 tons oil from the
british supply ships which were posted there. After leaving Tahiti we
have had a breakdown in both of our boilers. The boilers could be
repaired by the crew, but we needed water and oil to be able to proceed
to Honolulu.

During our stay we had also been asked to dip our flag at 14h local time
because there had been an interment (I hope I have found the right word)
for two british mariners. Three mariners from one of the supply ships
had attempted secretly to get ashore using a dinghy but had been killed
by the high waves of the surf typically for pacific islands. They could
still send an acoustical alarm signal, but the helicopters taking off
from the shore could find two of them only.

The only Hawaiian broadcast radio statio I can remember is KHVH at
Honolulu Waikiki Beach and its slogan "the most listened station to".

At that time I did not know that one year later I would get the chance
to work ashore with Rohde&Schwarz in Munich.

73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB