LF: LF 54 Years

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF 54 Years
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:55:17 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

While serving in the RAF in 1957 I was posted to Christmas Island for the British nuclear tests in the Pacific. During that time I was also stationed for a short while at the Transit Aircraft Flight at Hickam AFB at Hawaii. While there I bought a transistor radio kit (made in Japan) at the air base PX, which I assembled when I got back to Christmas Island. With this I was able to pick up MF stations from Hawaii (KHOH & KHON as I recall) and occasionally other MF stations such as Australia when conditions were good The kit used two transistors an RF amp and a detector . The detector stage was also an audio amplifier using a reflex circuit which made the most out of these expensive active devices. I understand reflex circuits were used in the early days of valves (tubes).

Regards

Peter, G3LDO