LF: More earth-mode tests and a puzzle

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: More earth-mode tests and a puzzle
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:39:54 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:subject:from:content-type:x-mailer:message-id :date:to:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version; bh=S1AJEludJf6suFqzDy3dWiqjl4m7h2cA/gMlvJZLsCo=; b=MfU0kQOcqa2BBHZtHxByJrKZFEJwtiSQ3WMV1O/rNU40oqWhwBdMQbXi/y/e1MwFiP sGMBSbc2+oyfXN8TGRpYF9DzHWhvJB8aSC5w8IoMRg+EIqOaQnO66FTz4TYAmLWnCLNG 0lxmu56/HteOiFxlk8d9jeZ2pI9PrUnFuCSFI=
Sender: [email protected]
This evening, during further tests looking for G6ALB's earth-mode beacon signal on 8.76kHz, I discovered that best results receiving at my QTH 3km from Andrew were with a small E-field probe rather than a loop or earth electrode pair. With the EFP, signals could be detected in my upstairs shack with just a 19inch whip! This suggests that the electrostatic component is the dominant one rather than magnetic or simple potential difference measurable between the 2 earth electrodes. My basic physics is very rusty and any help clarifying what is going on would be appreciated. It now means we may have a much easier way of detecting utilities assisted earth-mode signals at greater ranges as the positioning of the EFP was far less critical than trying to detect signals with a loop lying on the ground.

Comments please?

73s
Roger G3XBM

Via my 2.4GHz handheld (iPod Touch 4g)