LF: RE: More earth-mode tests and a puzzle

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: More earth-mode tests and a puzzle
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:13:10 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Roger,

congrats to you and G6ALB for this first succes.
At 3km you are still within the near field (at a wavelength of 33km), so the fact that the EFP works best might indicate that the transmit antenna acts as an "electrical antenna" rather than as a small loop.
If this is so the signal captured with the EFP will decrease with 40dB/decade, so if you have 20dB SNR at 3km you will reach 0dB SNR at +/- 10km (assuming same noise level). So if you could find a place "in the middle of nowhere" (where noise is low) at about 10km you might be able to copy something.
Another thought: how the EFP signal outside the house ? if the signal if much stronger inside the house this might indicate that the signal travels through the ground and is "brought up" by the house wirering and coupled into the EFP.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T