Re: LF: Capacitor warning and First 500kHz Class E breadboard

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Capacitor warning and First 500kHz Class E breadboard
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:16:00 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1294791358; bh=t/l3SzxyFDFhOtmDJ65EcxwilEzC2nRC1OW08Y0Aon4=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=0INRH10Z4AsIIN8WeYikZs9KKEe2t5S7TW0whbRX4Pn6e/pd7dXZWEt2RI4iciWNEEAZAMEg69PTpmPzOMttd/EHf1mtGjLDSmepzA7Sl7lGijzYLudjy44NOIX/TA0D9xrTLa4YFyGIRxn3Jch+zqgRnbJxbgy/33X3yjtUZEg=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=iVWLBln46rwAnoA6Lvqic9NWPu0V0fY98QhbceHXTIxA37nNdBjub6pJi5gaaPJ0k+GQowZBR2hhrygsLNluAjejh4unHyNn+GGa5PGt01C9mW9Q07FPhagYgPvoDedhBIuWxnmLk4eq1AFekK2sgJ4TyVm4A4XJucVjMMKQxi0= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Piotr, you should note that these old mics caps were not usually rated
for high RF currents. At that capacitance they consist of a stack of micas
with foil or maybe evaporated plating. Either way there is a problem with
the connection between the foil/plating and the lead-wire. One weak point
will fuse first (and the capacitance drops)and that loads more current into
the other junctions etc etc. Try one and see how it copes with the
currents...they may be rugged enough. I tried a number of old style valve
caps with little success. They were used in the outputs of Valve PAs but the
impedance is much higher so the RF currents there were much lower.

Best Wishes
Alan G3NYK