Re: LF: Earth Electrodes

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Earth Electrodes
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:12:50 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Chris, LF,

Am 14.12.2010 17:27, schrieb Chris:
HiStefan,
Yes, but 600m is VERY long! The wire even laying on the ground I would expect to radiate quite well at 137 with that length! And how many watts?? ERP??
I am sure 8970 would do well through the ground at the sort of powers being spoken about. Probably ideal for submarines, as Roger says!
Vy 73, Chris, G4AYT.
Well, my earth antenna is grounded at the ends and TX power was about 250 W. The mode was DFCW-600. The receiver was at Michael Oexner using a PA0RDT design. ERP? No idea, probably some few uW. Its not so easy to calculate the losses.

Yes, on 137 kHz the wire length comes close to lambda/4 and above so it acts not just like a pure earth antenna but rather as a combination of this and a very loss dipole. On 137, my power was 100 W at this test.

The antenna was built to do local tests but seems to work suitable on 137. So it is a fixed antenna, my only fixed one. And it is a very quiet location. This makes it interesting to use it as a RX antenna too!...

73, Stefan