Re: LF: Polar Path MF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Polar Path MF
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:02:34 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 06:38:54 +0000
Scott Tilley <[email protected]> wrote:

> So if you're up to a real experiment and adventure I'm willing to try
> a true exchange with you. But my terms are you need to open your mind
> and be willing to 'play nice' with me and everyone else and together
> we'll do the seemingly impossible and communicate over the pole with
> amateur equipment on 2200m.

Scott, LF,

Condx at present seem very good for trans-polar propagation on MF.

I'm currently receiving the Aero NDB "PVQ" from Put River, Alaska -
carrier 376kHz, 1020kHz modulation, a distance of 5273km over the pole
from BQ50sf to Shetland IP90gg.

My recording at 0805 UTC is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3551430/PVQ_Alaska_376_101202-080529.mp3

Roelof heard it first, yesterday - over 6000km.

Admittedly I guess the TX power is in excess of 1W EIRP - but then
again I'm listening to it on headphones & loudspeaker via nothing more
complicated than a 2-stage 10Hz AF filter.

So - those on this list who profess to be well set up with both
"TX firepower" and RX ability should surely be able to do the
impossible. It just takes some skill and dedication and lots of
patience and preparation.

John
GM4SLV