RE: VLF: Funny things!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: Funny things!
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:13:02 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
I was fortunate to be working in Antarctica for a number of years and visted Siple station just after they reopened the base in 1978 (closed for a prior season or so due to a Hepatitis outbreak... who says there are no germs in Antarctica!)

I was having breakfast there having just flown in as co-pilot (point it that way Laurence....)  from our refuelling stop at 80 degS after dropping off some glaciologists on the Rutford Ice stream near the Vinson Massif

The new replace VLF Jupiter transmitter was running a series of stepped 2-4Khz (im guessing here  but my hearing was a lot better then) tones every few seconds. What I vividly remember was the cutlery and anything with a metal overlap vibrating at the Tx freq...pretty interesting really. The cook said "you get used to it but the $^%$# tones are annoying given the repitition...." (dah de dahhh  da de dahhh etc)

Given the TX had an RF power of (stated) 150Kw perhaps its not surprising everything was being excited. Im  sure it wasnt running at that power that day as the lights werent dimming that much - Nice breakfast in any case chomping on my psuedo real bacon and canned powered eggs.

http://www-star.stanford.edu/~vlf/Antarctica/Siple/index.htm

Laurence KL7UK in Dallas this evening...