Re: VLF: Inspire VLF-3 receiver

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Inspire VLF-3 receiver
From: Daniele Tincani <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1286290844; bh=mq9x3AQsMI/LZ8PU8XMhiTWFCThavXc6hzvY9VGzR4E=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=SlwOT3QJWsPJzHihqLtlvh6Y1wvexSABAXrTVOA/wx0D6upmv2wZXsguYTMaHNfojD/1UVOG/watM+KKlJ0/Ifny8jUBZ2xBy/tPfR4HWoFsGAhuFxREEReH+mDiwF4aVn2ixSDtqW+mpUc8fjEmD6VE4g2NPO3q0P9XbIX19Is=
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Warren,

yes, I see. However, I did not intend to use the VLF-3 for sub-9KHz ham radio listening, rather I'm looking for a VLF reception solution that I could possibly move away from domestic noise and take with me for a walk in the countryside.
My reasoning is: I'm pretty sure :-) that I have hum at home affecting reception below 10KHz. I will try a small passive HPF just to see if it improves things a bit, but I'm not confident about this attempt, given that probably the noise is not generated by saturation in the pre-amp or the soundcard. Of course the pre-amp and the soundcard have their own noise floor, but it seems to me that external noise is well above it. Given this situation, I think that no home-based receiver could really remove the problem at my current location.
On the other hand, I live in a jointly-owned building, at 5th floor, so it would be not "politically" easy to install a long coax cable across the property and up to my balcony :-). More complex solutions like remotely-interfaced antennas, etc. are out of my budget for VLF at present (in terms of spare time for study, setup, etc. :-)).
In summary, while trying to improve my current loop and pre-amp, I think that building an E-probe could add a bit to my current experience with VLF "antennas" and could probably result in a more handy solution for "in-the-field" listening sessions.
I'm interested in a portable VLF receiver (more general-purpose than VLF-3, if possible). Ready-to-mount kits are preferable because of the short free-time I have for homebrewing. Please suggest any suitable solution that you could have information on.

Cheers
D.