Re: VLF: VLF at different locations and QRN as a function of daytime

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: VLF at different locations and QRN as a function of daytime
From: Daniele Tincani <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 22:56:33 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1286258193; bh=1A9vSNLj8fom98XeWRsu1tgI77EhmLqLDjPhV/Be3B0=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=4fZ7gAH3ywZ4TY2byk+swH4SoM8hFCanjt3mfGVhd+b3PdlaRWRbavugSg7Ya8ZUSmOtQk+GgBEYOujK4qBlouXWNg9fhR2UqNKpcXLX2rSVGPev8AESjL1u6gUcPuz+cmvyLQ9/YPHgRbHg/OCEu3n0hgIOHVEQuuPSqYxXn/Y=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan, VLF,

I agree with you. With 60 seconds/plot I think > 12 hours are possible on my screen (1280 pixels max horizontal size, 1024 used normally). Say 5.00 UTC to 17.00 UTC for example. Please send me the .usr file to load.

Currently my loop is connected to a zero-impedance (ideally) pre-amplifier (a design by Renato Romero IK1QFK and Marco Bruno IK1ODO, build around the LT1028A op-amp).
The cutoff frequency should be (in theory) fc = R/(2 x pi x L). If my measures were not wrong some time ago, for my loop I should have R=3,7 ohms, C=186pF, L=2,9mH which give an fc of about 203Hz (theoretically). The resonant frequency should be > 200KHz, so I hope the response curve is fairly constant over the VLF range. A low-pass filter with about 50KHz cut-off is included in the pre-amplifier circuit.

I'm planning to add some shielding to the loop by means of metal tape to see if I can get an improved balancing and better rejection of common-mode noise (quite a quick and unexpensive attempt). I also thought about adding a switchable passive high-pass filter with say 5KHz cut-off before the amplifier, but an analysis of my signal made by Renato months ago showed that there wasn't any input saturation at low frequencies, so a filter will probably help poorly in reducing local noise in the dreamer's band. Anyway, I will try and see what happens :-)

Regards
Daniele