Re: VLF: Inspire VLF-3 receiver + samole rate drift problems

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Inspire VLF-3 receiver + samole rate drift problems
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:17:26 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Daniele, Warren,

I don't know the inspire kit but my own grabber is a broad band receiver too and it seems to work. You can see on the 'wideband window' that i am receiving from 0...24 kHz without extra filtering (sure, there is a lower cut off frequency due to the design), so the wideband window shows what the soundcard input 'sees'. As long as there occurs no saturation due to high levels in the soundcard input (e.g. @ 50 Hz or 60 Hz in USA), all the filtering can be done in SpecLab. It is even necessary to cover some kHz since the noiseblanker has to 'see' the QRN to blank it then.

Also a BFO can be easily arranged in SpecLab. It is no problem to listen to a CW signal on VLF like SAQ in some weeks :-) There is a mixer and a VFO where you can type the desired frequency, like 16500 Hz if you want to listen to SAQ at 17200 Hz on 700 Hz. Also you can choose a desired CW filter bandwith from 0...100%.

And Markus/DF6NM already mentioned that it is easily possible to 'lock' the soundcards samplerate to a military VLF transmitter, so you have quasi atomic clock accuracy. Therefore it is useful to receive up to above 20 kHz since most of these transmitters are operating there. A signal decrease due to a filter by 20 dB is no problem there since the signal levels are very high, usually, depending of the RX location.
I am monitoring the Russian Alpha transmitters RSDN-20_1 which is an atomic standard frequency at 11904.7619xxxxxx Hz. The grabber window for that (attached screenshot) shows that the transmitter is currently active (useful for people who try to optimise their RX, since the Alphas are OFF sometimes) and it shows that my grabber windows are accurately sample rate drift compensated. You can see that the drift is quasi 0, means < 0.001 Hz which is OK for up to QRSS/DFCW-6000 and above. No need for extra fans and/or keeping the window closed during the transmissions ;-)

On saturday we saw that Jacek received the signal with best S/N with a short E field antenna! So my hint for Daniele is to try such an antenna as an alternative to the loop antenna. Maybe the local H fields are causing more QRM than the E fields. Jacek (and me) is living in a city as well! So if Daniele can arrange that the antenna is higher above the house, it could be an advantage. And those antennas are cheep and small :-) If possible, it would be nice to have almost no filtering except a low pass filter at 15...25 kHz. This is surely useful since the LF/MF bcd stations have to be attenuated. This can even be done before the first FET stage (if FETs are used) by using a series resistor which forms a RC low pass filter with the gate capacitance.

There are several sulutions. Wish you fun to arrange your best system :-)

73, Stefan