Re: VLF: whistler duct AMATEUR propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: whistler duct AMATEUR propagation
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:11:29 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=XmvY4uTYgLbNZ6I75LMnDx3nWWtDuACEbNxJRCpUYok=; b=ebJUrajFADjvnGGgiOU3xoq+eL9B2caXKqTL1MQQx+b02fVcc1U+6NyjkxeDo9o5Yk PxAjbXj1GxjS3pZA4mLBaGMkSO8ZwJKDT8lyCDLKQ4KQXXnY/NHj0kZNnmL3CdndHPDv KDJrE1+BkMkgnfMXFaA62I+tgQgZwcRhs+m2A=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

If I remember correctly, you have to visualise the magnetic field lines going from a point in the  northern hemisphere  to the southern hemisphere at the conjugate point i.e. as far south as north of the magnetic equator. Signals will only be received close to this point at any strength by propagation along the magnetic field lines in whistler duct mode.

With whistlers, triggered by a strong lightning impulse, the signal can propagate back and forth between N/S hemispheres being more frequency dispersed with each pass. The sound is amazing. Helliwell's book shows one strong series of audio frequency echoes lasting over a minute in the sunspot maximum of the late 1950s, but this is rare. With amateur signals we would be lucky to get from Europe to Southern Africa once before signals became too weak to detect.

Who would have even believed that such experiments by amateurs would be seriously considered, even 12 months ago? You and others working on this are true pioneers and you all deserve great credit for this. I am only "dabbling at the edges" and have a great deal to learn.

73s
Roger G3XBM