VLF: whistler duct AMATEUR propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: VLF: whistler duct AMATEUR propagation
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:47:10 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

Am 26.10.2010 23:18, schrieb Roger Lapthorn:
Stefan,

The possibility of whistler duct AMATEUR propagation is fascinating. There are (I think) spectrograms of such propagation from NAA (~14kHz) back in the 1965 book "Whistlers and Related Ionospheric Phenomena" by J.A.Hellliwell (I have a copy). This could mean signals getting to, for example, conjugate locations in the southern hemisphere (S.Africa?) with relatively low attenuation. A chirped signal would also show whisper dispersion I guess.
Yes, absolutely interesting! We will do that! And SpecLab can easily generate such a signal, my PA can easily transmit such a signal and my earth antenna can easily radiate such a (broad band) signal! :-)

Any further hints/ideas, Roger (and the group)?

You will need some grabbers in distant places!
Maybe ZL2AFP can help us here by receiving? :-)

73, Stefan