LF: Re: UK NoVs

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: UK NoVs
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:18:50 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1284153530; bh=Mz4OKyPP0aF3i4l2S1f6Txwpw3mkba9E5Z/2sAJYnwE=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=tv4Dx9r7v8B+044f0YVzNGJKsOUdKcv/NV+2l26ooBeY9T17n2WQQ6667nHOfYUtUKZM9d2aMx2vnRjK6oKpyySAjIOXofipa+b2ViWcuyHybkQCNuDXtZhjUcBWKz69VD4XMhpa2AWa/lD8DJdB/IyhNAtkLS1pDDjSKDLPSJw=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=Lj7J2f4QLv+nB8GqqkZIddmqo83KnTaLVUX4YfkJAR+9Y5YI/rud1mDqVbPbM95Uuul+5CIBPqLQnvd24Ne4WaSf6J3WL/qUea9dO/6fQCVjuN5x/RluiSxBvPcIMv3hecPEVvwS9sJWg8tdZrEVMnYqD2kI2nwbBDHzvN+FKKg= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Jim, Mal, LF Group

G3KEV wrote...
Jim
Do you expect to reach me with this sort of erp? I am QRV when you are
ready. I expect you to hear me with a few hundred watts

...As a feasibility study, one can make order-of-magnitude estimates of required ERP fairly easily. The noise level at 9kHz in quiet winter-time conditions at a reasonably quiet QTH during DK7FC's previous tests was roughly 8uV/m per sqrt(Hz) by my estimate. The distance between G3KEV and G7NKS is roughly 200km. If we assume G7NKS actually achieves 5uW ERP, field strength at G3KEV will be E = 7*sqrt(Perp) / d, around 80nV/m, assuming ground wave losses are neglegible. This is 40dB below the noise floor in 1Hz bandwidth, so the RX bandwidth would have to be reduced to 100 microhertz to get 0dB SNR, or say 50 uHz to get a few dB positive SNR. I think this would be feasible to do; it would require frequency stability of the order of parts in 10^9 at both TX and RX, so both Mal and Jim would have to make some improvements!

So can Mal really expect to be "heard with a few hundred watts"? Mal is always a bit vague about his antenna, but often mentions 3 x 150m wires supported by a 100ft mast, and unless he has a whole collection of other 100ft masts to support the other ends, one would assume this means sloping wires and an effective height in the region of 15m. Capacitive reactance at 9kHz would be roughly 6 kilohms, allowing 3A or so of antenna current with a reasonable voltage of 20kV. With a relatively big antenna like this, one would hope for a fairly low loss resistance, provided a very low-loss loading coil can be made. Let's optimistically assume 50ohms total loss resistance - to get 3A Iant, 450W TX power would be needed, which is stretching the "few hundred watts" a bit, but never mind. Radiation resistance at 9kHz would be 320 micro-ohms, and with Iant = 3A, ERP works out to about 5mW. This is comparable with the ERP from DK7FC's VLF experiments. 200km away at G7NKS, field strength would be about 2.5uV/m. I reckon if you actually want an audible CW signal, it has to be above 0dB SNR in a normal CW filter bandwidth, say 250Hz. The band noise in 250Hz would be about 130uV/m, so 2.5uV/m is 34dB below an audible signal level. So even though G3KEV might have an ERP 1000 times greater as an optimistic estimate, it would still be far too weak to be actually heard at G7NKS. QRSS30 should be quite easy, though.

So, the verdict is that it is probably feasible for G7NKS to produce a detectable 9kHz signal over a distance of a few hundred km, but extreme narrow bandwidths, integrating periods of several hours and high frequency stability would be needed to do it. It should be possible for Mal to produce a 9kHz signal that can be detected at a similar range using techniques familiar from LF amateur radio, but it certainly won't be audible at that distance.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU