Re: LF: PA0RDT miniwhip in TX?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA0RDT miniwhip in TX?
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:25:26 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Marco,

This question comes up from time to time.
I have not had a single report of failure, due to mounting the antenna close to a transmitting antennas.

The J310 is quite sturdy.
Steve Ratzlaff, AA7U, has tested it in parallel to a 50 ohm dummy and 100 W RF and it happily survived.
KL7X had a lightning strike 25 m from his mini-whip and it was still OK.

The only problems encountered was when people accidentally sent 100 W RF up the feedline. This fried the 220 ohm emitter resistor of the 2N5109 and the 2N5109 itself, but nothing else.

Due to the small capture area of the PCB antenna, high voltages don't easily develop.

If your friend has a problem, I will sent him 10 J310's for free!

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt