LF: Earth antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Earth antenna
From: Tony <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:34:01 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

I have finally found the time to get some (radio) work done here and got my 2nd tower finished and I erected an inverted L, 10m vertical and 30m top rising to 15m at the far end. I still have the "earth antenna" which is just a length of wire laying on the ground 80m long and terminated directly to an earth stake and laying roughly in the same direction as the top wire of the L .
Comparing the two gave some very interesting results.

10 MHz  CW                L = S7    earth = S1
7 MHz CW                    L = S9    earth = S3
R. Bristol 1566 KHz    L = 0    earth = S2
Donebach 153 KHz    L = S6    earth = S8
DCF77 77.5 KHz        L = S3    earth = S5
MSF 60 KHz                L = S4    earth = S8

All very non-technical I know, neither antenna was matched or tuned in any way and was all done about 13:00z. There was no noticeable difference in the noise level but when I tried it before the earth antenna was very much quieter after dark. I will try and repeat this tonight and see what the difference is then.

Tony, EI8JK.