RE: LF: RE: Who needs antennas! - success with ground electrodes on 500

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: RE: Who needs antennas! - success with ground electrodes on 500kHz
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:49:22 +0200
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]

Roger,

just a thought: did you have a "conventional" 500kHz antenna up during the tests ?

In that case the ground loop might be coupling (a part of) the energy into the other antenna.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Well, I'm amazed.

This evening I connected my 500kHz transverter straight to the two connections of my sub-9kHz grounded electrodes and TXed WSPR. No attempt was made to match anything on the assumption that the two electrodes system looked not too far from 50 ohms resistive as measured between 1-9kHz.. Pout from the IRF510 is around 5W. What happened?

Three people copied me
- M0BMU, G7NKS and M0JXM with reports between -21 and -28dB S/N. The wire to the furtherest ground rod is at most 20m long and most of the way it is 1.5m above ground. Once again, this must be acting as a pretty effective loop mostly within the ground.  Screen grab of the WSPR log attached.

So, if you live on clunchy chalk soils like me then don't worry too much about big antennas, :-)

73s
Roger G3XBM