LF: Re: Changing solar conditions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Changing solar conditions
From: Mike-WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:05:51 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Good morning Dave,

But why on some days of active solar conditions do I find high absorption on 600 meters with stations out to 250 miles? On normal days they are coming in clear easy copy CW, but some days when the Density and the A & K indexes are above normal, those same stations are either barely audible or completely gone. I have followed that Density number and noticed a range that made 600m signals really stronger than normal. I'd like to say that range was about 5 to 11. That has been seen in daylight conditions and also night conditions so different D layer conditions. It's a strange thing that I am likely to never fully understand.

I haven't done any studies on the effects of a LF signal with differing A, K & Density figures. Only 600m studies so far. On the Velocity figure, I notice higher numbers above ~400 show a higher noise floor on bands from 600 meters on up into the HF bands. Again I haven't checked the LF bands to see what affect the Velocity has on their noise floor.

Alan's mention of the DST figure has me wondering if he is talking about the Proton Density or? This solar data can be useful and also can be confusing. hi hi...

Mike
WE0H