LF: Re: Re: Changing solar conditions

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Changing solar conditions
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 00:04:56 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1276817400; bh=7CHwA/8ZEYctR3Py13OAZBdVdIN3+AGM98MxVn5rwjo=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=fAozpKc0cevtEH6XamvmhGMPrJgiEvrQLFw8XCd/ZiXWtANU8wAwYGWRHoRGM7wdx76P6+saG1LhBImYMiYg7aLVBUEX0Uod4/8wAP9cN1S43MoteiVpwgA6K0xJ3CAMfBMmoeftCsSIMW6UovZXywWaDIVi13l0cNE4pNfdE3E=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=p3YZEulPUxl3HUafdDb758P3c5WuBCKKCwMUY536mnuuhvQUdPPwS03s8eUarmdnUPdg0ypzeSbpOEMNbpVgneU7T5N6eh+v0NrC+mwJZydbtGByIzLh6YuF4ioycAU+MDgNLLeC6Pg8k8Q1rfs+2H8uTG6Jy/7lIQar8PydNXY= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike
You have found that Kp and A are not good indicators of propagation
conditions at LF. Try looking at Dst instead. Dst effectively measures the
Equatorial Ring Current which is the electrons and ions trapped in the Van
Allen Belt from the last disturbance. Thus a big geomag storm will push Kp
up to 7 and be back to 1 in a couple of days but propagation can be
depressed for 2 weeks or more. My take on the reason for this is that the
Ring Current acts as a reservoir of hot electrons which are injected
(precipitated is the usual profesional term) into the ionosphere (and
diffuse down to the D-layer) at the sunrise edge. These hot electrons act
just like the daytime photodissociated electrons in daytime....they absorb
LF signals. The problem is they persist well into the night as well and the
level is topped up again next morning.

The Dst index gives a measure of the "pressure" or concentration gradient
driving electrons into the ionosphere. When it returns close to zero
conditions start to improve. There was a CME recently and a coronal hole
flow which have topped up the ring current. The Dst is running at
about -25nT conditions will be better when it returns nearer to -10nT. The
other thing at the moment is that the subtective signal to noise ratio will
be depressed by the levels of summer noise ....static.

After saying that all my observations have been on 136kHz and I have not
been able to do systematic 24/7 recordings of  "beacons" close to 500kHz but
I see no reason for it to be much different.

I use the plots from your Colorado University site
http://lasp.colorado.edu/space_weather/dsttemerin/dsttemerin.html
I think you might find these interesting......it took me a long time to
discover why the depressions lasted so long after a geomag storm had passed,
though it is well documented in professional literature by the likes of Jack
Belrose VE2CV....it was only with the satellite measurements that it started
to become clear.

Best Wishes
Alan G3NYK