Re: LF: Alpha dashes

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Alpha dashes
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:06:44 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1274299605; bh=ROvtHO3UZeNJlCbMcSWDcWMGrUGE2YjLyuMyksA3GxM=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=Zrt/vHL5UC0kGHAsglKH11rWNB6Gv8gCn9WUxiwH4/exVjnZuRoRE3EeZ02mm0V0bbLvE8zkeLDruDUqglcGoJgBkBRNgXqGrSUGPuNE2VFRxqxnQYSIm3bt5RBUoRZvimV+ozKDnbR/UQy+8aH+qbFDqFmoniOvHPqoIFZACbI=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=kdJEJeQ1hk8zqoBj0X0rGvzQuKNiHdAg9yar9/4ydF5PRfljYiBnBjmexvZB3kdAx4Oe5unS5A/IKvAuM6vgDtfkhfehh7zkzbZCAgvTKpknn9oKhDMnLVCXos3ylsl1kUO8E37UyT4UMKe64idaiXINTJt7+5PeJ0r77+pvHq8= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Mal, Jacek, LF Group,

For a detailed and accurate picture of signal and noise levels at VLF in the UK (and a fair amount of LF too...), go to Paul Nicholson's site at http://abelian.org/vlf/spectrum.shtml, which shows this information updated in nearly real time. There are links to other VLF web sites, and streaming audio too.

SQ5BPF wrote:
unfortunately they are down now, so i can't tell you what is the s/n now. but it's hard not to receive these stations. with an e-field antenna (or with a h-field antenna but at some distance from powerlines) you can hear them without any downconversion, provided that your headphones (and ears :) have high enough frequency cutoff. with downconversion to 800Hz i would give it 599 if it were cw (actually they sometimes transmit a marker in cw)

I guess Alpha is a few dBs weaker in the UK. But I have usually been able to receive the Alpha beacons with my "Electromechanical Receiver" (http://www.wireless.org.uk/mechrx.htm), using a 10m high inverted L antenna, when I have had that RX set up for an SAQ broadcast - the motor/generator spindle speed has to be reduced for the lower alpha frequencies of course. The electromechanical RX is completely passive, and the saturating-core mixer is not very efficient, so it has about 20dB power loss between antenna and headphones, but even so, the QRN at VLF is so strong that this external noise is the limiting factor on receiver sensitivity, even one which has no electronics...

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU