RE: LF: 8.97kHz antennas

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: 8.97kHz antennas
From: Laurence KL1X <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:43:32 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Im recalling when I was in Antarctica sometime  in late 78 and visited (dropped in) Siple station who were conducting VLF experiments using a 21 (42) Kms dipole (2-5Khz and beyond) including triggering noise hiss and other signal apparations - search Siple and VLF on Google and theres a lot of there especially from Stamford..

I seem to remember that they had Bridged Hafler 500W "audio" amplifiers getting to that power level in the station for some of the experiments. Kind of odd we are still using Hafler amps here at 137khz and beyond!

I remember flying into (buzzing) Siple for breakfast after being in the air and deploying glaciologists on the Rutford Ice stream - and all the metal in the station and the breaksfast bar "hummed" at sub/ harmonics during transmissions - I clearly remember the stepped frequency transmissions probably at 2 or so KHz probably from the newly installed Jupiter 150Kw transmitter -

All this talk of 8 Khz is making me teary eyed!

Laurence KL 1 X aka  VP 8SB et al

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More. =