Re: AW: AW: AW: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: AW: AW: AW: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 12:31:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

Well, if really necessary one could cool the barrel from inside - not by filling it with water from the pipe of course; and carrying such an amount of distilled water to a portable site would be overkill. Better use a fan which keeps the air inside the barrel (or your tube) "rotating" while blowing cold air into it (at the bottom) while leaving the warm air escape at the top. Maybe the furnace effect is sufficient - experimentation will show.

Good luck winding the coil - hope you have a lathe or somebody else to help you with that. Reminds me of my tesla coil experiments, but they are much smaller than your coil.

With some luck, I can get the internet link to the club station (DF0WD / DK4U) running again soon - if successful, I can put up a temporary grabber there, or resume my VLF streaming activities (by help of Paul's VLF streaming server). The question is if the MP3 or Ogg Vorbis compression will leave the weak signals intact; at the time we started those activities it was intented for VLF natural radio but not for hunting extremely weak signals.

Cheers,
 Wolf

Stefan Schäfer schrieb:
Hi Wolfgang,
Yes, i know about the optimum L/d ratio but i haven't such a Wasserfass ;-) Cooling the coil by water inside is rather a joke i assume? :-P The high epsilon r (81) would slightly decrease the Q. But it would be a good indicator if the water in the water butt is boiling, than i should do a TX break ;-) Yes, here is also snow again, very nerving!! But there is also strong wind :-) But today i will spend time winding the new coil. It makes no sense to use that heavy 50kg coil with bad Q :-( Maybe the water butt is an idea but... ...but it may be a little expensive, perhaps. Hm, ok, i will think about it... ;-) 73, Stefan