Re: LF: 9kHz: soundcard RX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 9kHz: soundcard RX
From: M0FMT <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:51:00 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1267743060; bh=6+jgSgMdUcwYGBazKse9NVrE4JfzwwF3wtyLGi82Z+k=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=ozkMat3jTN2Czvl0fjb8W1vZPPM1igxHi62qWLG+APnlpaSr7iH8gn9JJPKitHg3sT8O+AQcdVTWcbrCRw+dNQ8FPsg4NmteOdjnqt381HtgsUe9JSsh14ogZl345r9x4vjRqUj1/01yc7CIFR/Q6P2HUDm2egLI4gqS2MTziqI=
Sender: [email protected]
If I have understood the issue, it is that you are saying sound cards are very venerable to damage when fed with an external antenna to the mic socket?
If that is the assertion then I am say that I have had a good survival rate when doing just that over a relatively long period of time. Also other pieces of kit are connected to antennas like very very expensive transceivers and modems connected to antenna like telephone wires... there is potential hazard to all these devices. So we do take a risk when connecting any sensitive electronic device to an external antenna but the risk can be mitigated by ensuring the antenna is removed when not in use and especially during lightning storms and / or by adding some form of static bypass arrangement. And yes a pair of back to back diodes appear to prevent damage because of their voltage limiting characteristic. It is a precaution I would recommend as a minimum protection but you can never be sure how well they would actually work. Its a risking business play with high external antennas but that's what we do.

That is my point and nothing else.

73 es GL petefmt