RE: LF: New NoV

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: New NoV
From: "James Cowburn" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:33:16 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dominic

Welcome to 500khz!   It’s a real blast and challenge.   The guys are great and will give you all sorts of useful tips, as well as engaging in healthy debate about all matters LF/MF

For me personally, my area of interest is 500 and latterly 136 on CW/RTTY and newer data modes like WSJT JT4A and WSPR.   The latter has the potential to make the best of friends argue…but in a good natured way.   (be warned WSPR is hugely addictive esp on 30M and 40M where 1W will get you to VK/ZL!!).

WSJT-JT4A is also QSO mode similar to WSPR.  WSPR is more beaconing, tho can be QSO as well and hence divides opinion far more effectively than religion/politics/football!!  J

Pete, Dennis, Chris, Roger, Alan, Lee  and Jim (Moritz) have all given me loads of help as a newbie.  Chris in particular has helped with hardware too!

If I can be of any help (prob unlikely)  then do drop me a note or call

It may not be necessary (though it is far more desirable and more rewarding I agree) to build your own Tx.  I use an IC706 mk2G modded for wide tx to generate 10W on 500.  I used to use an IC735 but by being overzealous on what I thought it could do, I managed to smoke the PA…doh!!  My own stupid fault!! L

Even with 10W ERP and an aerial in an RF sapping birch tree I still can get out some 1200km on WSPR and have had CW QSOs with Finbar, Mal, Rog and Peter Dodd all in the 200km + zone.

Again welcome to 500Khz.

With best regards

Jim

Dr. James Cowburn