Re: LF: Re: 1/2 wave 500

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 1/2 wave 500
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:45:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Jay, Mal,

I think that a "low" dipole is only meaningfull above poor soil.
At 20 ft (6m) above a perfect ground the radiation resistance would be only 0.25 Ohm. But in contradiction to a short vertical the dipole would work better over poor soil. At 100ft a dipole would have a radiation resistance of about 6 Ohm (over perfect ground. But even at this height it will radiate at very high angles (as Mal suggests), so probably good for Europe but poor for DX.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Quoting "[email protected]" <[email protected]>:

Mal

I worked WD2XSH/35 in South Dakota a couple weekends ago and heard him a couple times since. Here's his e mail to me on his setup. Think it should read one leg N/S and the other is E/W. Note that it
is at 20 feet! Appears to work.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2

Jay,

I have an ICOM 706MKIIG feeding aqn attenuator which feeds a transverter from 7.2 MHz to 500 KHz. The transverter is feeding a solid state amp. I am running about 10 - 15 watts ERP. The antenna is a half wave dipole on 500 KHz about 20 feet above the ground in a N/S and E/W configuration. one leg
is N/S and the other is N/S.

I am listening on a ICOM 756PROII and a HyGain Hytower.

73

Jim

WD2XSH/35  K0HW