Re: LF: Re Propagation report

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re Propagation report
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:25:42 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Jim, David,

I have been successfully using a variant of the second method, which works by comparing received voltages of a strong distant transmitter (eg. DCF39) from the transmit antenna under test, versus a small nonresonant loop of known geometrical area. The induced loop voltage is

 Uloop = H * omega * aloop = E * aloop * 2 pi / lambda.

The effective height of the TX antenna then is

 htx = Utx / E = Utx / Uloop * aloop * 2 pi / lambda,

and the radiation resistance

 Rrad = 1579 ohm * (htx / lambda)**2

One advantage is that electrical near field shielding effects (eg. by trees) are actually included in the voltage ratio, because the reference measurement is based on magnetic field and thus hardly affected by moderately conducting objects in the vicinity. As the effective height is only weakly frequency dependent, the measurement can be done at a different frequency, depending on signal availibility.

Absolute receiver calibration is not required for the voltage ratio, but you may have to apply a correction for loading of the tx antenna source impedance by the receiver impedance:

 Utx = Utx_loaded * (Rant + Rrec) / Rrec

I also found that I had to detune or disconnect the big antenna during the loop measurement.

Best regards,
Markus (DF6NM)