Re: LF: WHITE PLAINS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WHITE PLAINS
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:53:46 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

My first short wave receiver was a Knight Kit Star Roamer I built around 1960. One of the first receptions I heard was a transmission that kept repeating a message something like this: This is a test transmission for circuit adjustment purposes. This transmission originated form an office of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company and is located near White Plains New York. I received this signal from time to time for many years on several different frequencies. Many years later while reminiscing about our past radio experiences with a retired AT&T engineer I asked him about the test transmission. He recalled hearing the same signals which he believed was for the HF High Seas Radiotelephone Service. I've never found any information about a White Plains site but there is some documentation online about several other AT&T High Seas HF Radio locations.

Dex

mal hamilton wrote:
I remember a radio station on HF SSB years ago WHITE PLAINS. Where is that located, somewhere in the USA.
De mal/g3kev