Re: LF: PROPAGATION WSPR

To: [email protected], Klaus von der Heide <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: PROPAGATION WSPR
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:07:08 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Klaus,

On the other hand, WSPR has the advantage of automatic
recording. But that is not an advantage of the mode, it
simply is the lack of a corresponding simple program that
does the same with a QRSS signal.
the automatic recording/reporting ability is clearly an advantage of WSPR in regard with propagation studies. And I agree that QRSS or DFCW would serve as well or even better if a similar automatic recording/reporting would be provided. But I am afraid that a "waterfall display to ASCII" conversion is not simple at all ;-)

Nevertheless, WSPR is not very near to the Shannon limit.
I spent nearly all my leisure time of the last year with
the design of a new digital ham radio QSO-mode HD43 that
comes as close as possible to the theoretical limit.
I will send a preprint on request.
I am interested

73, Rik ON7YD - OR7T