Re: LF: Re: 500kHz WSPR Beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500kHz WSPR Beacon
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:59:40 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Jim, Mal, LF group
We have a great opportunity here for doing some valuable research into propagation. To my knowledge no one has measure fading from a single source at different locations at the same time, and been able to correlate the results. Analysis of the fade timing, depth, measured against radial distance is possible with WSPR or similar systems. The simultaneous measurement fading at different locations will give interesting data on the movement of the effective reflection area and its relative strength to the groundwave. The effects could even plotted as a signal strength animation on a map given enough measurement points. For Mal's benefit, it needs to be pointed out that the strength of WSPR is not in multiple transmitters, but multiple receivers. That being said, the more beacons there are, the more data we can collect. The occupied bandwidth for WSPR is very small, and based on the relatively low level of other activity is very good use of the band. Part of the 500KHz experiment is to see how well the spectrum can be used. Any operator that insists that the band should be devoid of any other signals while he or she makes a QSO (be it CW sent by hand, RTTY or any number of modes) is at best misguided, at worst selfish, or a poor operator, or one incapable of using readily available technology to keep the receiver from being as wide as a barn door. I can quite happily copy the CW signals from the various beacons up around 505KHz, with the stronger ones only a few tens of Hz away. I would expect we all can. I see no problem in having many more beacons in the band should the experiments warrant them. We need as many WSPR receivers on as possible at one time to gather data. For those who have not got equipment that is easily dedicated to this, perhaps we can set up some WSPR activity periods. For those wishing to set up a dedicated WSPR receiver, one very simple solution is what I use for my grabber. A Softrock lite on 500KHz, a simple ferrite antenna and a PC. The permanent internet connection is a nice to have, but not necessary as 'logs' can be uploaded later. My WSPR receive system is now integrated into my grabber centred on 503.5. It uploads real-time to the database. I will retune to listen to the USA WSPR transmissions as required, unless I can find a way of running 2 instances of WSPR at the same time on different audio input frequencies, which may be possible with Virtual machines.

Lets hope for some good propagation.
I am in the process of putting together a transmit mixer and driver for my linear system, so I will eventually be back on with all modes available, and will be able to transmit WSPR

Mark GM4ISM

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>