LF: Re: DEGEN 1103

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: DEGEN 1103
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:59:07 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello LF,

I have one of those from Shenzhen, and put it to use for a temporary 500 kHz grabber a few months ago. With an external antenna, sensitivity was not a problem, but a tuned circuit was required at the input to mitigate MF and LF broadcast intermodulation. I circumvented the frequency instability by switching the receiver to AM-wide demodulation and injecting an externally generated 500 kHz LO signal.

The Degen proved valuable for searching local QRM on LF. Walking around at night with an external ferrite antenna allowed me to locate noisy underground ADSL and power lines to within a few centimeters. One is almost tempted to dig and cut... The receiver also tunes below 100 kHz but does indeed become insensitive there - DCF77 and HBG are easily audible on the telescope rod, but VLF signals are buried in a heap of LO sideband noise.

Best wishes
Markus

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julian Hardstone" <[email protected]>