Re: LF: Re: RTTY QSO 500 KHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: RTTY QSO 500 KHz
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:37:20 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Ok Dennis,

Thanks for the info ... Looking at the distance, you may be in the 'dead zone' which is a bit of a pain .. I must of seen your signals on cw later that night , but missed the rtty qso, I don't know if Gary did any better, annoying thing is, looking at Birmingham, the  signal looked quite strong ! all my tx kit is in a big box at the moment, but I can receive on 500, with the marine set and  the ft897, which actually works quite well ...

Fine on the rtty / fsk set up , mmty is I think the only 'free' prog that has that facility ?, a tnc like the pk232 will also key directly, with a few more modes, But, I wonder,  have you considered making one of the tx down convertors, you would only need the tx side of this > http://www.radiocom.net/txvr.jpg < could drive in place of the vfo, and use a hf ssb tx to  generate via the sound card, there are a few quite 'hard' stepped tone systems in 'fldigi' , which will go  via a non linear  amp , best system I think, to  date, was the olivia 8 tone 250 bw , that printed very  well into the noise, but needs a linear system, at the time I didn't try the narrow mfsk ... may give similar results ?

Hopefully I will be back on the air by xmas, that's if the ma1723 has not decided to  fall over through lack of use .. if it dose ill be making a copy of Gary's 'new' rx/tx converter and feeding it from the ft897  !

Gd luck !

Graham.

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:59 AM

Hi Graham

Regarding my RTTY, am using MTTY software with PTT and FSK signals taken via the computer COM port to TX via two 2N2222 transistors operating as emitter followers.   The output of the FSK stage goes via 5k to a 1k pot with a forward biased silicon diode across it, to stabilise the voltage at 0.6V.  The slider selects the amount of voltage fed via a 68k resistor to a BA102 varactor in series with a 25pF trimmer, which is across the tuned circuit of the VFO.   The slider sets the amount of shift from 23Hz to 170Hz, though I would not like to rely on the 23Hz setting too much, owing to slight drift.  This arrangement normally works well, but I had problems with Chris due to a modification I made to the VFO for another purpose.  I am thinking of replacing the 2N2222s with opto-isolators, in an attempt to reduce noise on receive.   I also plan to try a loop antenna at the end of the garden for the same purpose.

73 Dennis M0JXM.