Re: LF: AC Noise on RX...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: AC Noise on RX...
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:04:10 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

Hi All

The mystery of 'the noise' is beginning to reveal itself. I believe it is e-field in nature and related to the proximity of mains AC wiring... After relocating the loop into the back 40 the noise dropped even with the RX powered by the AC mains. Based on my earlier observations this would indicate that the noise is propagating from the mains when one of my distant neighbours is doing something with some wize bang gadget... One helpful suggestion had me trying a random unbalanced wire into the antenna terminal. Boom lots of noise. Move the unbalance part of the wire away from the house and associated mains wiring and the noise dropped. Seems like common sense but remember I spent years in the worlds worst noise spot where such subtle observations where impossible... Now put in the isolation xfmr and we are almost cooking! Battery power has me listening to individual electrons doing the bump and grind...

Now I need more coax to get the antennas further away into the bush.

The project came to an abrupt end this evening with an encounter with a rather large black bear. He seemed well fed so no issues...

I found a nice clearing in the woods for my loops... Time to get the shovel and bury the control lines and pull in the coax...

However, work has me back to Beijing next week so the project will need to wait...

Looking up has me dreaming of big loops and flat tops...

73 Scott
VE7TIL

PS the miniwhip is up and seems to deal well with QTH at the 60' mark high in a tree.

Johan H. Bodin wrote:

Scott,

does the noise level change when the loop is rotated?

73 Johan SM6LKM

Presently I'm only using my passive RX loop which has a single turn 'sense' loop for coupling into the main multi turn loop...