RE: LF: AC Noise on RX...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: AC Noise on RX...
From: "Chris Trayner" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:12:40 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Scott,

> first thing to find out is wether the interference comes from the
mains or from the power supply.

Other relevant diagnostic questions:
- Did the rx produce this noise before you moved house? (I.e. is it some local
interference source?)
- Does the rx produce the noise with no aerial connected?
- Does it produce noise with a different aerial, in particular a shortish
length of wire, i.e. something sensitive to the E-field rather than the H-field?
- You could try making a small loop aerial on the end of a length of coax, and
wander around to find where the noise is loudest. (Does your big loop happen to
be over a mains cable?)

One other thought: is your aerial loop near the rx? When I had an rx almost
inside a loop I got terrible feedback, probably from coils in the rx back to
the loop.

When you do fix it, I think we'd all be interested to hear what the fix was.

Best regards,
Chris G4OKW

Dr Chris Trayner
School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
The University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 113 34 32053
Fax: +44 113 34 32032