Re: LF: Re: AC Noise on RX...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: AC Noise on RX...
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:16:33 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

This one has me still scratching my head.

All of the LF bands are affected. I have tried my RF isolation transformer that worked rather well back in the city. I have not tried the AC mains iso xfmr yet. Yes my iso is wound like yours. No computer yet.

To answer others questions about a local noise source. Can't be as I can shut off all the breakers in the house save the one feeding the radio and nothing else and the noise is still there. Doesn't matter which PSU of the many I have I use and the noise is still there. Switch to the battery and turn on everything and bang the noise is gone.

The noise is only there AFTER I connect the antenna. So it has something to do with the mains AC, coax run and the antenna...

73 Scott
VE7TIL

PS - The day we get the band back on 2200m is the day I'm back on the air... This time with a 70' high big honking flat top about 500m from the ocean...

[email protected] wrote:

Scott

Welcome back! Agree with previous comments on checking the power supply first. What frequency range is affected?

Is the isolation transformer an ac mains isolation transformer or an rf isolation transformer? Even if you're using an ac mains isolation transformer an rf isolation transformer on the lead will probably be required. For this transformer I've found that a conventional wound ferrite transformer with the primary and secondary separated on the core work best. Bifilar wound transformers are not the way to go here. If you have a computer connected to your receiver a 600 - 600 ohm isolation transformer in that connection can also improve noise pickup.

Any hope of transmitting again?

Jay  W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Tilley" <[email protected]>