Re: LF: mf/lf

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: mf/lf
From: John Pumford-Green <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:55:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:13:54 +0100
"mal hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote:

> how exciting!

For those following their experimental purposes it probably is very
exciting. For you, only looking for boring rubber stamp CW QSOs, filling
your log book or finding out what the WX is like in Swindon, then
perhaps it might be dull, to find no-one to QSO with.

If you don't find 500 stimulating enough then I think you've made the
right decision to go elsewhere for your entertainment.

As others have repeatedly reminded you, this is an experimental
allocation, not a  DXing, rubberstamping, "it is raining not",
"599 = qru = 73" ham band.

Go elsewhere for that.

We know that you're either technically incapable, or fearful, of
describing how you limit your ERP. Is that because it's higher than 1W?

I guess so.

I, along with every other participant in the UK experiment, would
happily tell anyone who asked how I set my ERP, how I've calculated the
antenna efficiency and verified it in the field. We are willing to
share our knowledge and techniques, to spread experience and help
newcomers.

Not you, though?

Now.... why is that?

We also know that, depite your repeated public self-promotion as the
"only true engineer" in this field, you were unable to detect some
serious problems affecting a BC station, causing interference to 518
Navtex and indeed right across the 501-504 amateur band.

Others with more normal abilities, setups and southerly, inland
QTHs can be excused for not spotting it.

You, though, claim to receive this station as an "Extremely Strong
Signal" (the definition of "S9"). Perhaps your MF receive capability
isn't quite quite you think it is?

To add to your undoubted chagrin:

Today I've exchanged emails with the Head of Technology at the Faroese
station, thanking me for my report, agreeing there's a problem and
passing the report to the maintenance outfit (Faroe Telecom).

I've had email from Faroe Telecom themselves to tell me they will
attend to the fault ASAP.

I've had emails from the transmitter manufacturing company's
commissioning engineer, currently back in HB-land, so he's unable to get
involved directly, to confirm that from correspondence he's had with
the Faroes engineers he sees that the transmitter has been incorrectly
set up. He's sent correct configuration details to the Faroes
engineers to help them correct the problem.

Now, tell us again how strong a signal you received, what a good path
you have to Faroe, and how technically brilliant (yawn) you are in the
field of RF engineering?

We don't believe you.

Go to Top Band, look for DX, leave the serious experimenting to those
more worthy of the task.

John
GM4SLV