Re: LF: Faroe 531 update - Kringvarp Føroya

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Faroe 531 update - Kringvarp Føroya
From: John Pumford-Green <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:19:33 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:38:27 +0200
"Johan H. Bodin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> nice work John! The problem will be looked into soon, it seems.

Yes, let's hope so!

> Those Harris transmitters are nice

Yes, I worked with some DX50 transmitters several years ago, must have
been pre-1995, because I moved to Northern Scotland at that time, and
left behind any chance of working on high power MF.

No doubt the current generation is totally different to what I saw back
then.

It was quite a new thing, high power Solid State on MF, after many
years of QRO valves.

They were installed to replace the Marconi "Doherty Mod" 50kW valved
TXs at BBC's Moorside Edge station when Radio 3 left MF and Virgin 1215
started. Then the Radio 1 Marconi TXs were also removed and more DX50s
put in, for whatever service came onto 1089kHz.

>From memory the Radio 5 (4 x 50kW Marconi) TXs remained, although that
might have changed in the 13 years since I moved away.

Best regards,

John