Re: LF: Re: M0BMU WOLF Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: M0BMU WOLF Beacon
From: "Johan H. Bodin" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:04:01 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Alberto,

> A good suggestion for Nico would be to implement the resampler
> inside the Perseus software...

Yes. I'd suggest that you put that suggestion on the Perseus list to remind Nico that this question should have higher priority than the colour of buttons :-). I mentioned this VAC stuff to Nico (together with spectrum screen dumps) but he did not reply. Maybe a a CPU friendly fractional resampler is not easy to make :-)

73
Johan SM6LKM

Alberto di Bene wrote:
Johan H. Bodin wrote:

This sampling rate is re-sampled to a "standard" rate by
Windows when listening through the soundcard, and by the VAC software
(Virtual Audio Cable) when routing the signal to other programs such as
Wolf. Unfortunately, the VAC software seems to use a quite sloppy
algorithm for resampling, probably to reduce the CPU load. At some
output sampling rates, there are distorsion products that look like some
kind of "in-band aliasing" and these are not more than 40dB down or so
:-( Maybe this percent of THD goes unnoticed by "normal" VAC users who
listen to mainsream music (which is usually 100% distorsion anyway ;-) )

Yes, I can confirm that VAC has a very bad resampler. You can hear the artifacts easily, even on voice recordings. A good suggestion for Nico would be to implement the resampler inside the Perseus software...

73  Alberto  I2PHD