LF: First night on 600m

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: First night on 600m
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:31:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Dear all,

a short overview of my first night on 600m:
- 4 stations worked: G3AQC, GM4SLV (1100km), G3ZWH and G3WCB in that order
- reception reports from OH (OH1LSQ, 1680km), SM, DL, SP, OK, PA
- heard but not worked: DI2AM (599) and SM6BHZ (599+)

As the UK NoV's might expire by the end of February I tried to get QRV asap, with a very "experimental" and temporary station: TX: clone of the M0MBU 4MHz VXO design with a modified 136kHz PA. The PA is causing some trouble, efficiency is lousy (40%) and the FET's are getting very hot during transmission, so I keep the TX periods short. Output = 120 W. Antenna: 9m high / 25m long T-antenna with a part of the loading coil at the top. Calculated Rrad = 0.3 Ohm. Antenna current is 1.4 A, so theoretical ERP should be about 0.6 W. But due to the many trees close to the antenna (some only about 2m) I guess that my real ERP is far less, maybe 0.3 W.
Based on 120 W / 1.4 A the loss resistance is about 60 Ohm
Antenna tuning and variometer are in open air, so for no no operation when it is raining.

I will try to be QRV with this setup during the next weeks (to get interested UK NoV's one step closer to their DXCC .... ..) and meanwhile I will try to
- build a proper high efficiency TX (I aim for 400 W)
- improve ground to reduce the losses (I aim for 40 Ohm)
That should improve my signal by about 7 dB (1.5 W ERP).

73, Rik  ON7YD (and OR7T)