LF: Re: CLASS D and E

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: CLASS D and E
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:59:20 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=laHDmFAkZwkvCcwCL/K0SwZ6N+Cze19+MUGqf7d1V9hPgIsh7PJqpBY/YGnyucvkEi6K7bxlNLtCYphgpV7+rypVAT7xpI2eBna9++Lan3jRNe2pMoNfuuZ5K7AsH26wU1/UwDzhwaHRyTBS3gifpZZMDrIpkKo5OqwkKFeY+00= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Mal, LF Group,

> Hi all
> Class D and E amplifiers are supposed to give around 80/90 % efficiency.
Has
> anyone actually achieved these figures. It seems anything above 60% is
hard
> to arrive at using normal coils/capacitors.
>
> 73 de  Mal/G3KEV

Certainly you should be getting better than 80% for a reasonable class D or
E design at LF or MF. I find about 90% is typical for a "good" design - it
is actually quite hard to get an accurate figure due to the small difference
between DC input and RF output powers.

In my designs I have used silver-mica or polypropylene capacitors, which
have very low losses at these frequencies. For inductors, I have used
air-wound coils and Micrometals -2 mix iron-dust toroid cores - the rule
here is if doesen't get excessively hot with the key down, the power loss is
probably ok! For most class D and E designs, which have quite low loaded-Q
tank circuits (<5, say) an inductor Q of 100 or more is probably adequate
and fairly easy to achieve. If you want to use a high loaded-Q tank circuit,
it might be another story...

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU